Filing your address change with the Social Security administrative office is fairly simple. Please follow our step-by-step instructions provided below to complete your address change request. Address change can be done over the phone or online. To avoid a long wait, please use their website to file your change of address request.
Things to know
Social Security Office Contact Number: 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778)
Office Hours: 7 AM to 7 PM Local Time Mon – Fri
Website: Address Change Online
What do you need to complete your address change?
- Social Security Number
- Date of Birth
- Recent Bank Statement (if you receive direct deposit)
- Pay stub (if you receive your salary via check)
- Click on the “Address Change Online” link to start your address change process with Social Security office.
- If you do not have your Social Security password to access your account, click on the “Change my address without a Social Security password” button to start your filing process.
- Simply fill their form with your Social Security Number and other pertaining details to complete your address change request.
- Take a print out of the address change confirmation for your records.
You can report your change of address to the Social Security office online or via phone if:
- You get Social Security disability, retirement, or survivors benefits.
- You live in and are moving to an address in one of the 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, or American Samoa.
- The address change is for your own benefit or payment.
You cannot report your change of address to the Social Security office online or via phone if:
- If you have a foreign, APO, or FPO address.
- If you receive Supplemental Security Income, you cannot use this online service.
- If you are a Representative Payee, you cannot use this online service.
Reference: U.S. Social Security Administration (http://www.socialsecurity.gov)